This recipe takes the traditional dish, adds a little healthiness, but keeps the comfort!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of frozen vegetable medley (carrots, peas, green beans, and corn works best)
- 2 ribs of celery cut into pieces
- 1/2 large red onion
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon of your favourite hot sauce
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- Couple dashes of allspice
For the topping:
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 and 1/2 cups of cauliflower florets
- 1 cup of chicken stock (you can also use water)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- In a large pot combine the cauliflower, potatoes, chicken stock, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then simmer until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and set to the side.
- In a large pan, cook the ground beef until brown and drain the fat.
- Put the vegetable medley, celery, and onion in a food processor and pulse until finely diced.
- Add the diced vegetables to the beef and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire, Tamari, hot sauce, and allspice to the beef mixture and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the filling into a oven safe baking dish.
- Rinse out the food processor and add the potatoes and cauliflower, without the liquid (but keep the liquid), and pulse until creamy. If you find that your topping needs to be creamier, slowly add some of the cooking liquid until the desired creaminess is reached.
- Spread the topping over top of the filling and broil on high until the top is lightly browned.
Live Your Best Life!