In it I mentioned not only how to determine if you are in a career you love but that I would lay out a blueprint to become your own boss.
Well here we go...
What is your perfect day? The reason this is important is because it lays the foundation for what you want your life to be like. When you create this don't sell yourself short. If you want to take a helicopter to where your Ferrari is parked, all the power to ya.
How much to you want to work on making money per day? How much personal development do you want to do? How much free time do you want? Do you want to work from home, from a beach, or from abroad?
Your perfect day does not need to be set in stone. It can be fluid and can change with you. But it is important to set a solid foundation with which to build your life on.
You have got to think about the ONE THING. What I mean by this is, what is the one thing that is your dream. What would you do for free because you love it. If you can figure out what that is you are off to a killer start.
Now you must keep in mind that this must be realistic. I am 30 and my dream growing up was to play in the NBA. Would that still be a dream of mine, sure but it is not a realistic one. Your one thing can be something big but at the same time it needs to be realistic.
Now you need to begin thinking about how you would monetize and get your one thing out to the world.
Do you want to do something online? Do you want to own a bake shop? Do you want to own a gym (this was my dream and soon I will have 4).
The important part here is to keep in mind your perfect day. If your perfect day involves working from your laptop on a beach then owning a bake shop is going to be a shitty fit. Unless you want to own the bake shop and not actually do the baking yourself.
Begin creating your life!
There are 2 approaches you can take here that I would consider the "responsible" ones. Have you ever watched one of those shows where people bring their ideas, businesses or products in front of a panel of entrepreneurs? They pitch there ideas, say they have re-mortgaged their house, invested all there savings, and their idea is fucking terrible? Yeah...don't do that!
Approach #1 - Save up a years slush fund.
If you are going to quit your current job/career to pursure your passion you should have 1 years living expenses in the bank. This will allow you to build whatever it is you plan on building and give you a solid year to do so.
Now this doesn't mean that you are rolling around in dollar bills in 365 days (trust me that is extremely unlikely). But what it will do is give you the peace of mind and the "support" for you to focus on what you need to focus on.
Approach #2 - Begin pursuing your passion while maintaining your current job.
This was my approach. I personally think is this is a safer approach but there is one caveat. You need to have the balls and the dedication to make it happen!
Since you are going to be maintaining lets say a 40 hour workout week you need to carve time to build your dream. For me this called for 4:30am mornings for over a year.
I would work for 2 hours each morning (including Saturdays and Sundays). Did it suck? Sometimes. But I wanted it bad enough that I was willing to make the sacrifice. And to be honest, I loved it so much that I would usually jump out of bed with a smile on my face.
Depending on what your dream is approach #2 my not be possible. If we use the bake shop as an example again it is impossible to open a bake shop while also working as a lawyer. In this case you need to go all in and take approach #1.
Find a mentor or a coach.
This is something that far too many people skip or think they don't need. Trust me when I say don't skip this step.
I am fortunate that Fit Body Boot Camp comes with access to high level coaches and mentors. Unfortunately most entrepreneurs need to seek this own their own terms.
Grind! This is going to take work...lots of work.
People always overestimate what is possible within 1 year but they underestimate what is possible in 5. You can include me into this.
You need to grind. Put in the work. Never stop.
It is not going to be easy. You can have the highest of highs and the lowest of lows...all in the same day. That's part of entrepreneurship.
But if you follow these 6 steps you WILL have success!
Now here are a few important points I want to make:
- Your ONE THING may have a few interations. I knew I wanted to do something relating to nutrition and fitness but I stumbled at first. It took me about 1 and 1/2 years to land on what I am now doing. This is ok!
- You need to work on personal development daily. I read more books in my first year of "dreaming" then I had in my entire life. If you want to earn more and have more, you must first become more.
- In some cases you can use a "vehicle" to build a dream life. What I mean is that some people like a strucutred means of creating their perfect day. There are lots of direct selling or network marketing companies out there in which you can build a pretty awesome business. This may be a good option for you. Just make sure that if you take a route like this that you 100% stand behind the company and the products.
- Take imperfect action. Far too often we wait until something is perfect. Don't wait. You should have seen what Elite Life and Wellness looked like 2 years ago. And 2 years from now I know I will say the same thing.
- Your perfect day will not be perfect at first. Altough I now have way more time then I did when I was working a corporate job I still have to grind. I am not where I want to be and you have to put in the work. Don't think that you will be able to work 10 hours per week right out of the gates.
There is never a perfect time. Just fucking start!
Tomorrow turns into next year which turns into 10 years which turns into your dead.
You can create an amazing life. I did it and the only thing that makes me "special" compared to most people is that I have 3 nipples. Ok...kidding...although I do have 3 nipples. The difference is that I work harder than most and you have to be willing to do the same!
Live Your Best Life!